Pages

Honey

Once upon a time, I had horrible allergies for about 9 months of the year and the remaining 3 months were spent in a pseudo-allergy state. You'd think I'd be spared in winter because everything is frozen and dead but no, my nose would seek out the struggling pollen/allergen and get a good whiff and make me sneeze up a storm.

If my nose couldn't find any, it just stored some so that it could make me sneeze at will. I think evolution could've done a better job on this one and found a different way to get rid of germs other than through rapidly expelling it through my nose.

Sometimes I'd be driving on the highway and BAM, I'd sneeze and be all over the road going at "65" mph (75 mph). It would come out of nowhere and I probably looked like some kind of drunk to the other drivers- all of whom mysteriously made way and made distance between me and them.

Then, at the age of 18, I was told of the wonderful side-effects of honey. Honey is made from bees getting nectar from flowers. When you eat enough local honey, your body builds an immunity to the pollen in the local flowers and your allergies would decrease significantly.

I was skeptical but when my parent's were willing to fork over the two or three dollars it costs to get honey, I was game. Every day I had a tablespoon of plain honey. I probably should have mixed it with tea but I wanted to just get it out of the way.

It was Winter when I was trying so I couldn't be sure of the effects. Now it is Spring. Now I get to watch everyone else suffer through the sneezing attacks while I am mucus-free for once in my life.

So, if you take any moral from this it is: eating sugar (in this case, in the form of honey) will always work out for you in the end.*

*Note: It may work out for you in gaining immunity to allergies, make coffee bearable(, get diabetes) and other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment