Pages

Supply And Demand

Now, as evidenced by my having less than a quarter thousand page-views to having 15 posts (a ratio of a little over 15 views per post), I am not that popular.

I want to be popular, I want to have a blog with a million page-views or even 50+ million, getting tens of thousands of hits a day - this would be great. As it stands, I am not getting anything close to that.

That is a supply and demand model. I have a small demand, so if I want to increase my "price" (page-views) I have to match it with a high supply. This would mean generating a lot of posts so that my very minor following would visit my page for each one thus increasing my page-views. The fundamental problem here is that my demand may decrease, because who wants to spend all their time reading my blog?

Probably everybody should want to eat up my every word, but as it stands, people like variety in their life, so I have to be realistic.

Now, conversely, if I had a high demand, I could have fewer posts so that multiplying my high demand by my fewer posts, I'd get the same number of page-views. Now all I need is to get that huge following and I'm willing to wait.

I'm waiting right now.

In fact, I'm still waiting, even now.

Still waiting.

Waiting.

You get the picture, I'm waiting.

Unfortunately, waiting won't generate a large following, I have to take an active approach, but I can't do it alone, unless of course I produce a massive number of kids and have all of them read my blog, but in a society where monogamy is what's socially acceptable - producing a massive number of kids would require one incredibly fertile and patient wife and an impressive life-span on my part.

Since it's not very feasible to go that route, I have to hope for readers other ways. I promote my site through StumbleUpon and Facebook as well as word of mouth and email and links on my page to promote it on other sites but alas that has only gotten me so many followers (and this isn't to say that my followers aren't great, they just aren't great in number, because they are great and I'm quite thankful for you!).

What I need to do is make my site have more "resonance" so that people, when they read it, decide it would be great to let their friends know about it. If it was a matter of personal opinion, I think that I should have great resonance, but so far evidence suggests otherwise - so I'm going to suggest variety.

I'm going to post blogs and web comics and as time goes on maybe I'll even add more things to post.

Persistence is also key. I'm going to make a new post every day and if I don't, I'll make comics - some days I might miss, but I'll try to warn my followers ahead of time.

Ah, puns! Don't be discouraged by this little comic. In the future they'll be a little more thought out - though I can't guarantee they'll be drawn any better - MS Paint and my artistic skills don't generally culminate in masterpieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment