Pages

Violent Sleep

My girlfriend sleeps over at my place a couple times a week. When she goes to bed, she likes to have a glass of water next to her because she gets thirsty as she falls asleep and when she wakes up. Normally I keep my cup several feet from my bed, but on these nights, I move it within arms reach.

When you're tired, anything out of arm's reach is as good as doesn't exist because there's no way you're gonna get to it.


Even if that suitcase will disappear in five minutes, you're just not gonna get it cause it's too far.

Anyway, so I have the water next to the bed so that it's in arm's reach - accessible for my girlfriend.

Well, one night, she forgets that it's there. She swings her legs out and plants her feet next to the bed. She stands up and heads for the door, but not before taking a swing at the cup.

Her foot makes contact and the water spills all over the floor. I wake up and grudgingly clean it up with a towel.

I figure this is a fluke thing. She's slept over a number of times without knocking over the water, chances are she won't do it again. To be safe, I put the cup on the bed-side table so that she doesn't run the risk of kicking it.

I figure, it's elevated, the only problem she could  have is dropping it and I doubt that would happen. Well, I was wrong, dropping it was not the only way she could take care of it.

She sleeps over again another night and I set up the cup next to her on the bedside table. She doesn't have any problems with it and eventually we fall asleep.

At some point in the night, some latent need to knock it off the bedside table builds up in her. In her sleep, she punches the cup.


The cup goes flying and water covers the room. She wakes up, probably from hurting her hand in the aggressive cup attacking escapade and gets me to clean it up.

I've learned my lesson at this point. She still needs the water there but now I cover everything near it with cloth to absorb the liquid before anything else can.

Now that her mind understands that it can't knock over the water and cause my sleepy self any grief, she hasn't knocked the water over again. I still cover everything in cloth just in case.

As I look at her now, she's probably plotting her next mode of attack.

Note: She'd like to point out that parts of this were dramatized - she did clean up the water when she falcon punched it, but I don't know if that necessarily precludes her attacking more of my stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment