Pages

When A Video Store Goes Out Of Business

Blockbuster was going out of business and everyone flocked to their outlets. Large posters announced the sale and nobody could resist the temptation of DVDs for three bucks (dollars - they don't take mules... unfortunately), five bucks, sometimes even just a dollar.

I of course got around to it, about two or three days before they totally closed shop. The sales were as low as they were gonna get, the pickings were slim because many people had already taken what they could and I was there to reap whatever gems might've remained.

The thing is, when things get really cheap, like 80 or 90% off original price, quality of a product doesn't even matter that much.

I bought movies that now weeks later - and plenty of opportunities have offered themselves - I haven't seen any but one that I got. Meanwhile I bought about six.

I didn't start off getting six, at first I got two movies and a lot of popcorn. I'll explain just how much in a moment. At first I only wanted a couple movies because I didn't want to spend too much money, but when I had my wallet open I found a gift card.

Gift cards are awesome. As often as gift cards are, they are even more awesome when you realize you have one and you didn't know before. It's like finding a million dollars except usually it only means $10, maybe $25.

Well I had a $25 gift card so the two movies weren't going to use it all up. The cashier told me that the card wasn't going to be good in two days so I figured it was best to just get more movies.

What I had already gotten was 2 DVDs (total of $4) and 16 things of popcorn - 16! And my total was something in the ballpark of $13.

The following day I returned to use the other half of my gift card. This time I got 4 DVDs, more popcorn, as if 16 wasn't enough and it ended up costing me like fifty cents extra.

I felt like I just spent 50 cents on half a dozen DVDs and a mountain pile of popcorn and I was gonna face weeks of stuffing my face with popcorn and watching movies.

Little did I know that I wasn't going to spend almost any time do that. Life got in the way. I watched one movie and had one popcorn and now I have a closet full of popcorn and movies (and chocolate from Easter and detergent).

Anyway, be wary of the lore of cheap stuff. Sometimes I'll be in a store and just because an item is five cents cheaper, (this sentence is a dramatic exaggeration (it's gotta be at least 10 cents)) I'll get it and then re-discover it months later and eat(or watch) it's deliciousness(deliciousness).

No comments:

Post a Comment